Rural Pharmacy Scholarship Scheme
The Rural Pharmacy Scholarship Scheme provides financial support to encourage and enable students from rural and remote communities to undertake undergraduate or graduate studies in pharmacy at university. Up to 30 scholarships are offered annually, with a value of $10,000 per annum per student. Scholarship recipients are encouraged to seek employment in rural and remote areas following graduation.
The Rural Pharmacy Scholarship Scheme is supplemented by the Rural Pharmacy Scholarship Mentor Scheme. It aims to reinforce the scholar’s ties to rural and regional Australia and provide support to scholars outside of the university and formal study environment. Rural Pharmacy Mentor support involves at least quarterly contact, such as via email, telephone or face-to-face sessions as instigated by the scholar. Rural Pharmacy Mentors will be paid an honorarium of $375 (GST exclusive) each year for participating in the Scheme.
In order to be eligible for this Scheme applicants must be:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- enrolled, or about to be enrolled, as a full-time student in a pharmacy undergraduate or graduate degree at an Australian university that leads to a registerable qualification as a pharmacist;
- a member of the student Rural Health Club or a member of the University’s affiliate Rural Health Club; and
- able to show they have lived in a defined rural area (PhARIA areas 2-6) for a minimum of five consecutive years, or eight cumulative years from the age of five. PhARIA locations can be found on the PhARIA website.
Scholarships are available to students in any year of their undergraduate or graduate degree.
Note: Study at an honors level beyond the length of an undergraduate course is not covered by this Scholarship Scheme.
There are at least 30 scholarships offered annually, with a value of $10,000 per annum per student, meaning a student may be granted $40,000 over a four-year period.
Funds are paid in monthly instalments via direct Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
- 1st Payment – February or on receipt of approved uploaded Beginning of Year Deliverables
- 2nd – 9th Payment – Monthly from March to October
- 10th Final Payment – November or on receipt of approved uploaded End of Year Deliverables